Dr. Catherine Daisy Gomes, FIAB
Professor, Dept. of Architecture, BUET
PhD, M Arch, B Arch (Department of Architecture, BUET)
Book (authored or Edited) and Book Chapters:
- Co-Editor with Ghafur, S., Gomes, C. D., Tariquzzaman, M and Roy, S. (Eds.) (2020), Housing through Homesteads. Type Design of Affordable-Resilient Houses in Bangladesh, Design Research Documentation Series 1. Dhaka: Dept. of Architecture, BUET.
- Catherine Daisy Gomes, Farida Nilufar , 2014, “Understanding Privacy in Domestic Space: A Study of Transformation of Urban Houses in the Context of Dhaka” in CITIES IN TRANSFORMATION RESEARCH & DESIGN: Ideas, Methods, Techniques, Tools, Case Studies; EAAE Transactions on Architectural Education no 57, ILPOLIGRAFO, VOLUME I, edited by Marco Bovati, Michele Caja, Giancarlo Floridi, Martina Landsberger, Published jointly by Politecnico di Milano, European Association for Architectural Education (EAAE) and Architectural Research Centers Consortium (ARCC), ISBN 978-88-7115-829-7:149-157.
- Catherine Daisy Gomes, 2007, Church in Bangladesh, Cultural Survey of Bangladesh Series-2. ARCHITECTURE: A History through the Ages, Edited by Dr. ABM Hossain, publication of Asiatic Society, Bangladesh: chapter 3.2.4: 440-453,497-502.
- Catherine Daisy Gomes, Simita Roy, Md Ruhul Amin, 2020, Community Resilience in Neighbourhood Level: Study of Organically Developed Neighborhood in Dhaka, Architecture Science(ArS) Publisher: Architectural Institute of Taiwan and the Architecture and Building Research Institute (ABRI), 21(Special Issue: Flood Resiliency Design), Dept. of Architecture, NCKU, Pp 1-14; DOI:10.3966 /2219 157 72 020060021001,
- Catherine Daisy Gomes, Sultana Zakia Rahman, Simita Roy, 2020, Negotiation of Socio-Spatial Vectors in Addressing Resilience within Households and Homesteads in the Rural and Urban Continuum of Bangladesh, Protibesh, Journal of the Department of Architecture BUET, (In publication process)
- Catherine Daisy Gomes, 2016, Segregation in Domestic Spatial Organisation of the Contemporary Middle-Income Group Apartments of Dhaka, Protibesh, Journal of the Department of Architecture BUET, vol. 16 no. 01, Jan 2016.
- Catherine Daisy Gomes, 2006, Light- Creating Drama in Space: The Role of Natural and Artificial Light in Creating Space, Protibesh, Journal of the Department of Architecture BUET, vol. 10 no. 01, July 2006 :23-28.
- Ali Naqi, Z. Islam, Md. Shoeb Bhuiyan, Catherine Daisy Gomes, 1999, The Virtual Reconstruction of Paharpur Vihara, Khulna University Studies, Vol: 1, No. 2, Dec 1999, Page No. 187- 204.
- Catherine Daisy Gomes,Samia Sharmin , Waseque Shakil , Mohammad Zareef Sadaat Thakur, 2019, 464 : “Using Visibility Analysis to Detect the Influence of the Domestic Spatial Organization in Child Development:A study in the Context of Dhaka, Bangladesh”, Proceedings of the 12th Space Syntax Symposium,Beijing,China.
- Catherine Daisy Gomes, Simita Roy & Brishti Majumdar, (2018), Using Visibility for Enhancing Spatial Interaction within an Organically Developed Neighborhood of Dholaikhal, Old Dhaka, Samarawickrama, Sumanthri, et al (eds), 2018, “Sustainability for people – envisaging multi-disciplinary solution”: Proceedings of the 11th International Conference of Faculty of Architecture Research Unit (FARU), University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, December 08, 2018 Galle pp.42–49.
- Catherine Daisy Gomes, 2015, Visibility Effecting Gender Aspects in Middle Income Group Apartments in Dhaka, International Space Syntax Symposium 10, London.
- Catherine Daisy Gomes, Dr. Farida Nilufar, 2012, Understanding Privacy in Domestic Space: A Study of transformation of Urban Houses in the context of Dhaka. Cities in Transformation- Research & Design: Ideas, Methods, Tools, Techniques, Case Studies. EAAE/ ARCC International Conference on Architectural Research, Politecnico di Milano, Milano 7-10 June 2012, Temi, Theme 4, no.7, Page No.362-365.
- Zebun Nasreen Ahmed, Catherine Daisy Gomes, 2012, The BUET Department of Architecture: A Mammoth Journey, International Seminar on Architecture: Education, Practice and Research, organized by Department of Architecture, Bangladesh University of Engineering& Technology, 2–4 February 2012:121– 135.
- Nizamuddin Ahmed, Catherine D. Gomes, 2003, The Church in Bangladesh: Emergence of a New Building Type, International Seminar on Architecture overcoming constraints. Dept. of Architecture, Bangladesh University of Engg. & Technology, 11–13 June 2003, Page No.44– 52.
- M Hassan, M S Ullah, Catherine D Gomes, 2000, Rural Housing in Bangladesh: An Inquiry into Housing Typology, Construction Technology & Indigenous Practices. Intl Conference on Housing & Hazards and the Rural Community, Dhaka, Bangladesh, Nov-Dec 2000, P-51–60
- Zebun Nasreen Ahmed, Catherine D. Gomes, 1999, Daylight Penetration in High-rise Residential buildings of Dhaka: Evaluation and Analysis,Prakash1999, International Conference on Lighting Technology, New Delhi, Oct 28-30, 1999.Proceedings Vol: 1 pp 216-224.
Completed Supervision of M. Arch and PhD thesis (Thesis Title, Students name and Year):
Completed M.Arch. Thesis:
- Arch Thesis Titled “A Study of Resilience in Vernacular Architecture of the Water Nomads in Bangladesh under Climate Change”, by Md. Nazmul Hoque Nayeem(September 6, 2020).
- Arch Thesis Titled “Influence of Domestic Spatial Organization on Family Interaction: A Study of Contemporary Apartments in Dhaka.” by Ishtiaque Ahmad(April, 2019).
- Arch Thesis Titled “Study of Spatial Organization of the Contemporary Churches in Bangladesh.” by Flora Roseline Nelson (2016).
- Arch. Thesis titled “Study of the Spatial Organization of the Rural Homesteads in Nowagaon, Sreemongal” by Waseque Shakil (Roll No.: 0418012038), BPGS approved (dated 3.10.2020) applied to CASR.
Research Grants and Awards/Honorable mentions received (based on BUET or CAF-BRTC projects):
• Received Ahsanur Rahman Gold Medal –for obtaining highest marks in M-Arch Degree, 2004(BUET)
• Received Shamshun Nahar Khanam Gold Medal –for obtaining highest marks in B-Arch Degree, 1992(BUET)
• Received Commonwealth Split-site Scholarship UK, 2010 for partial PhD study in Bartlett Scholl of Architecture, University College London (UCL), UK.
Professional Works (under CAF-BRTC):
• Team Leader of Master Plan of Caritas Development Institute (CDI), Savar.
• Member of design Team of New Chattri Hall, BUET.
• Team Leader of G+11 Storied Notre Dame University Buildingat Motijheel, Dhaka.
• Team Leader of Architecture Department in FEASIBILITY STUDY AND DETAILED DESIGN FOR DEVELOPMENT OF JETTIES AND INFRASTRUCTURE AT MIRSARAI & SANDIP AT CHITTAGONG, SUBRANG-JALIAR DWIP AT TEKNAF AND SONADIA AT COX’SBAZAR, BUREAU OF RESEARCH, TESTING AND CONSULTANTION (BRTC), BANGLADESH UNIVERSITY OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY, DHAKA-1000, BANGLADESH.
• Team Leader of Architecture Department in FEASIBILITY STUDY WITH ESIA FOR RRESUSCITATION OF ICHAMOTI RIVER IN PABNA DISTRICT, with Institute of Water and Flood Management (IWFM), Bureau of Research, Testing and Consultation (BRTC), Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), Dhaka-1000
Event organizer or contributor (in BUET or at the national level as Convenor, Coordinator etc.):
- Nominated member advisor from Department of Architecture, BUET for, Dhaka North City Corporation (পরিবেশ, জলবায়ু ও দুর্যোগ বাবস্থাপনা সার্কেল) from 23.10.2017.
- Nominated member from Department of Architecture, BUET for the Advisory Technical Committee for construction of own building for Joyeeta Foundation (A sister concern of the Ministry of Women and Children Affairs to support and promote women in business initiatives) at Dhanmondi, Dhaka. from September 2015.
- Nominated member from Department of Architecture, BUET for the six membered Technical Committee for identifying Design and Construction Faults in the Krishibid Institution Bangladesh (KIB), September 2015.
- Selected Member from Department of Architecture, BUET for the Technical Committee of evaluation of Expression of Interest (EOI) for the interior of level 19 and 20 of the Wage Earners Welfare Association Board, Government of Bangladesh, May 2015.
- Voluntary Member of a nine-member team for construction and Repair of 35 Cyclone Shelters cum Multipurpose community centres and repairing works of 164 Nos existing cyclone shelters of CARITAS Bangladesh from December 2008.
- Moderator in PARALLEL SESSION 1: Bangladesh Housing Challenges, Policy and Plans led by Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology; in “National Seminar on Building Collaboration for Housing Impact”, organized by Bangladesh Housing Forum during April 23–24,2019, at Hotel Lakeshore, Gulshan, Dhaka.
- Member secretary of Stage and Programme Committee and MC of 11th Convocation of BUET on March 19, 2019.
- Tutor, “Designing Resilience in Asia (DRIA) 2019”, a student competition organized by NCKU in Taiwan.
- Participated in Designing Resilience in Asia (DRIA) 2018 as Committee member from Department of Architecture, BUET in National University of Singapore (NUS) during August 15-17, 2018.
- Director, Programme committee, Berger Award for Students of Architecture, BUET, 2017-18, 2018-19.
- Member Secretary, Programme committee, Berger Award for Students of Architecture, BUET, 06-08
- Member, “Self-Assessment Committee (SAC)”, Dept. of Architecture, BUET (2016-June 2018).
- Workshop Coordinator, “2nd Workshop on Quality Assurance in Architecture Education: Sharing the Survey Results”, 26 November 2017, Accident Research Centre, BUET, organized by Self-Assessment Committee (SAC), Dept. of Architecture, BUET.
- Workshop Coordinator, “3rd Workshop on Preparing and Submission of Improvement Plan2018-21”, 27 June 2018, Accident Research Centre, BUET, organized by Self-Assessment Committee (SAC), Dept. of Architecture, BUET.
- Co- Convenor, Prospectus Committee, Department of Architecture, BUET (2015)
- Convenor, Architecture Department Information Committee (ADIC) from 2014-2018
- Assistant Editor, Protibesh, Journal of the Department of Architecture, BUET (from 2014-2016)
- Member (secretary) Protibesh committee, Journal of the Department of Architecture, BUET, (Jan2008, July 2008and Jan 2009 issue).
- Member (Accounts), CAF-BRTC, Department of Architecture, BUET (from 2013-March 2016)
- Member, Architecture Department Monitoring Committee (2009-2010)
- Convener, Cultural committee – Dept. of Architecture, BUET ,2006-2007
- Convener, Study Tour committee – Dept. of Architecture, BUET 2008-2009
- Member, Events Committee – Dept. of Architecture, BUET 2008-2009
- Organizing Committee Member of Workshop on Fire Safety in Buildings – Role of Architects, 8-9 NOVEMBER 2007, Organized by Dept. of Architecture, Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology, Dec 2007, Dhaka Bangladesh.
- Organizing Committee Member of Workshop on Research in Architecture. Organized by Dept. of Architecture, Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology, January 27, 2007, Dhaka.
- Principal Organizer of Cultural Programme in the International Seminar on Architecture for the Economically Disadvantaged. of Architecture, Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology, 23-24 March 2007.
Professional or Learned Body Affiliations:
Member (G-005) Institute of Architects, Bangladesh (IAB)
Member (2202) Asiatic Society of Bangladesh
Member Academic Council, Notre Dame University Bangladesh
GB Member CARITAS Bangladesh (from 2013-2021)